Who we are
The Lieber Institute for Brain Development. Our website address is: https://www.libd.org/
The mission of the Lieber Institute for Brain Development Maltz Research Laboratories is to translate the understanding of basic genetic and molecular mechanisms of schizophrenia and related developmental brain disorders into clinical advances that change the lives of affected individuals.
Protecting your private information is our priority. This Statement of Privacy applies to
https://www.libd.org, and Lieber Institute for Brain Development and governs data collection
Lieber Institute for Brain Development include https://www.libd.org and LIBD. The LIBD
website is a research institute site. By using the LIBD website, you consent to the data practices
described in this statement.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
You have the right under the California Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) and certain other privacy and data protection laws, as applicable, to opt-out of the disclosure of your personal information. If you exercise your right to opt-out of the disclosure of your personal information, we will refrain from disclosing your personal information, unless you subsequently provide express authorization for the disclosure of your personal information. To opt-out of the disclosure of your personal information visit:
How we collect, use, share and sell personal information
We collect personal information from you when you visit our website, fill out our contact forms, participate in our surveys, or otherwise interact with us. The types of personal information we collect may include:
- Identifiers, such as your name, email address, phone number, IP address, cookie ID, etc.
- Internet or network activity information, such as your browsing history, search history, interactions with our website or advertisements, etc.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as your job title, employer name, education history, etc.
- Inferences drawn from other personal information, such as your preferences, interests, behavior, etc.
We use your personal information for various purposes related to our mission and operations. These purposes include:
- Providing you with our services and products
- Communicating with you about our services and products
- Improving our website and services
- Conducting research and analysis
- Marketing and advertising
- Complying with legal obligations and protecting our rights
We may share or sell your personal information with third parties for business or commercial purposes. These third parties may include:
- Service providers who perform functions on our behalf
- Affiliates who share common ownership or control with us
- Partners who collaborate with us on research or other projects
- Other parties who may be interested in offering you products or services that may be relevant to you
How consumers can exercise their rights
If you are a California resident, you have certain rights under the CCPA regarding your personal information. These rights include:
- The right to request access to your personal information that we have collected, used, shared or sold in the past 12 months
- The right to request deletion of your personal information that we have collected or maintain
- The right to request to opt out of the sale of your personal information
- The right to request to not be discriminated against for exercising your rights
To exercise any of these rights, you can contact us by:
- Filling out this online form: Contact Page
We will verify your identity before processing your request by asking you to provide certain information that we have on file about you. We will respond to your request within 45 days unless we need more time in which case we will notify you.
How we protect personal information
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We use various technical and organizational measures to safeguard your personal information, such as:
- Encrypting your personal information in transit and at rest
- Implementing firewalls and other security software to prevent unauthorized access
- Restricting access to your personal information to our employees and contractors who need it for legitimate purposes
- Training our employees and contractors on data security and privacy practices
In the event of a data breach that affects your personal information, we will notify you and the relevant authorities as required by law.
How we handle personal information of minors
We do not knowingly collect, use, share or sell the personal information of minors under the age of 16 without their affirmative authorization or that of their parent or guardian. If you are a minor or a parent or guardian of a minor and you want to provide or revoke such authorization, you can contact us by:
- Filling out this online form: Contact Page
We will verify your identity and age before processing your request by asking you to provide certain information that we have on file about you or your minor.
When you visit our website, we store cookies on your browser to collect information. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. The information collected might relate to you, your preferences or your device, and is mostly used to make the site work as you expect it to and to provide a more personalized web experience.
This website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
We use contact forms on our contact us page. When you submit data using this form, we keep contact form submissions for a certain period for customer service purposes, but we do not use the information submitted through them for marketing purposes.
You may choose to prevent this website from aggregating and analyzing the actions you take here. Doing so will protect your privacy, but will also prevent the owner from learning from your actions and creating a better experience for you and other users.
Changes to this Statement
LIBD welcomes your questions or comments regarding this Statement of Privacy.
Our contact information and a contact form can be found on our Contact Page.
If you believe that LIBD has not adhered to this Statement, please contact LIBD at:
Lieber Institute for Brain Development
855 North Wolfe Street, Suite 300, 3rd Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
Effective as of June 22, 2023