The Lieber Institute for Brain Development is a center for interdisciplinary, translational neuroscience research structured around three divisions: Basic Sciences, Clinical Sciences, and Drug Discovery. The basic research focuses on central neurodevelopmental questions related to building a human brain from the first cells.
The Lieber Institute is an independent, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, and a Maryland tax-exempt academic research institution.
The Institute has a Board of Directors that is responsible for strategic planning, oversight, and executive management. The Institute has an outside, independent Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) comprised of leading scientists engaged in work related to LIBD projects.
Board of Directors
Herbert Pardes, M.D., Chair
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees, New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Ronald J. Daniels
- President of The Johns Hopkins University
Steven S. Sharfstein, M.D.
- Former President and CEO of Sheppard Pratt Health System
Daniel R. Weinberger, M.D.
- Director and Chief Executive Officer of the
Lieber Institute for Brain Development
The Lieber Institute occupies a unique niche as the only institution in the world entirely dedicated to research on psychiatric disorders. Translating scientific insight into meaningful clinical progress based on causes, not symptoms, is a daunting challenge.
The Institute pursues this goal by emphasizing teamwork, deliverables, and milestones alongside innovation, risk-taking,
Scientific Advisory Board
Dr. Joseph Coyle, Chair
- Harvard Medical School
Dr. Jeffrey Conn
- Vanderbilt University
Dr. Mark Bear
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Dr. Pat Levitt
- University of Southern California
Dr. Steven Salzberg
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Dr. Matthew State
- University of California, San Francisco
Dr. Trudy Mackay
- NC State University
“The basic principle of a privately funded institution like the Lieber Institute is that it’s an investment for science, not the other way around."
- Daniel R. Weinberger, M.D.